Thursday, February 14, 2008

Crepes and Eurekas

I had the coolest thing happen to me this morning. After a day of setup and negotiation, I awarded a small data entry project to a company out of India. Yesterday, late afternoon, I sent over the materials and login credentials via email along with one minor piece of feedback (the company did a quick trial for me and I wanted to change the formatting of the file names).

This morning after eating delicious Valentine's Day crepes from my sweetie, I logged in and the work was done. Completed! Wahoo! I did a spot check of the work and everything looked pretty darn good.

This was so cool on many levels:

1) The entire transaction took place online.
2) I've never met the person that actually performed the work.
3) I didn't have to do the work myself.
4) It was very inexpensive (I saved time and money)
5) It was done properly.
6) I was sleeping while the work was being done (think about the power of this one).
7) Now that I've experienced it, I'm more comfortable trying it again.

Did I mention how cool this was? I feel like an international entrepreneur...and I'm still in my pajamas. Well, I'm not now, but I was post-crepes when I logged in this morning.

This is pretty powerful, heady stuff. I've experienced the global economy firsthand. I know, I know. I've already had folks around the world purchase things from companies I've worked for, but that's so yesterday. :) This was new and exciting for me and is full of promise for the future of Sanders, Inc.

But one has to wonder what this means for the US economy and other economies as well. Did I just hurt our economy in the name of saving money? Or did I help the economy by becoming more efficient so my business will grow bigger faster?

Food for thought. Now I need to put food in my belly.

1 comments:

Michael said...

Now I want to try. Very cool.